Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Project Update: Building an Aquarium Scraper

I had said that I was going to attempt to build an aquarium scraper for my 75 gallon marine aquarium. I took the plunge, bought the parts and put it together. My costs were as follows:
5ft 1/2" cpvc pipe: $2.79
45degree 1/2"cpvc coupler: $0.49
10 razor blades in a case: $3.89
Total cost with tax: $8.17

I kept the handle on my scraper quite long as I want to avoid having to put my hands in my tank if I can.
To make the holder for the blade I used the razor blade itself to cut out two notches. It was really quite easy and the blade is held firmly.

Results:
Fantastic. The blade was excellent at removing the stubborn algae from the aquarium glass. A big plus is that the blade is easily replaceable when dull at a very low cost. Why would any one pay the hefty price for a commercial glass scraper when one of these are super effective is beyond me. I recommend anyone who is looking to have clean glass in their marine aquarium to build one of these.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home